Acne is a disease that affects the skin’s Sebaceous glands. The small holes in your skin (pores) connect to oil glands underneath the skin causing theses glands to make an oily substance called sebum. Most people with acne are aged between 12 and 26 but more commonly now some older and younger people are affected. Boys are more commonly affected than girls. Acne can affect the face, back, neck and chest. The severity can range from mild to severe. Acne can also be common among women going through menopause. Women tend to get adult acne more often than men do. Acne in adults is likely to be affected by fluctuating hormone levels.
Spots Caused by Acne
The main types of spots caused by acne are:
- Blackheads- small black or yellowish bumps that develop on the skin. They are not filled with dirt but are black because the hair follicle’s inner lining produces pigmentation.
- Whiteheads – have a similar appearance to blackheads but may be firmer and will not empty when squeezed.
- Papules – small red bumps that may feel tender or sore.
- Pustules – like papules but have a white or yellowish tip in their centre, filled with yellowish pus.
- Pusnodules – large hard lumps that build up beneath the surface of the skin and can be painful.
- Cysts – the most severe type of spot caused by acne; they are large pus-filled lumps that look like boils and carry the most significant risk of causing permanent scarring.
Medication is usually the most common treatment for Acne, however it is important to establish a good skin care routine that has been prescribed specifically for your individual needs. Skin Peels are a highly effective way of helping to control the sebum levels, reduce redness and prevent future breakouts.
We offer a wide range of acne treatments at Cheek Medispa. To determine the correct treatment for you, we recommend a Free Consultation to discuss and evaluate your concerns and also the results you want to achieve.
Please click here to book your Free Consultation today.